Pennsylvania Garden Show Of York -- March 2, 3, and 4, 2012

 



Had a great enjoyable time over the past three days. Met Claire Klaum and Joe Maddox who were also painting plein air in the Expo Center. Also met several other artists from the York area. Julie Newmar was entertaining with an interesting slide show about her rose garden in California. Spent most of Friday afternoon sketching figures throughout the show and got my paints out to paint members of the jazz band on stage. They wanted to buy the art but I told them I wasn't selling and needed my color sketches for larger work back at my studio. Saturday I brought a 12 x 16" canvas and found an out of the way location to paint next to the stage. Patrons were interested in my blocking in shapes with a "tree stick" dipped in black acrylic paint. I do that to get a slightly uncontrollable thick and thin line. Most of it gets painted over later anyhow, but it helps me stay loose. I painted the audience seating area with the beautiful floral arrangement with small trees as a backdrop. I tried to capture the feeling of the space with the high ceiling and drop lights. There were two camera platforms filming Vince Butera, a well known York florist, on stage. I noticed he and others at the show were very free and flowing with their hand movements when they made their pitch and I made a few sketches to file away in my sketchbook. Sunday I set up to paint the Juried Floral Arrangement area and had the local paper take my picture while painting. Good thing he spotted me working early on because after he left the painting kind of fell apart and got a case of the uglies. In addition to the 12 x 16" canvas I painted six other small paintings but three turned out to be real stinkers. That's pretty good averages, you win some and lose some. Overall had a great time and past along our club name and the blog site to several interested people.  By Larry Lerew http://susquehannavalleypleinairpainters.blogspot.com/

Comments

Popular Posts