FINAL GLAZE, Strasburg Rail Road, Snow, Smoke and Steam IV, by Larry Lerew


FINAL GLAZE, Strasburg Rail Road, Snow, Smoke and Steam IV, by Larry Lerew
This is always exciting to add the final glaze to tone the painting down. I never know if it will work or fail, since I only get one crack at it. I made runny acrylic glaze with matte medium, acrylic retarder and pigment from Burnt Siena. I cover the entire painting with the glaze, wait a few seconds and begin to rub it into the surface and wipe off the excess with a soft cotton rag. The glaze mixes with a the previous bright colors and gives the painting the gritty look I'm after. This is all done pretty quickly since the rubbing action speeds up the drying. Rubbing over some of the earliest white crayon gave me a wonderful resist texture. I feel I captured my first impression of a gritty railroad yard which was my goal.

www.LarryLerew.com
www.larrylerew.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular Posts