Seminary Ridge From Reynolds Woods by Larry Lerew 170104 Gettysburg, Pennsylvania




Seminary Ridge From Reynolds Woods
by Larry Lerew 170104
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
5" x 7" Watercolor Wax Resist and Graphite on Green Drawing Paper, Unframed.

Here's what I often do to create a new painting. The charcoal sketch was made en plein air in my sketchbook and took no more than ten minuets. It's usually a simple value sketch made quickly and sometimes has written notes along the margins or right in the sketch itself since this is my working tool.
When I'm in my studio I pull inspiration from my sketchbooks and start to experiment with shapes, placement and colors as you see in the first attempt which is all green. I thought the painting needed more dark tones and additional color.
This brings me to the third version but maybe not my last attempt. You see as a piece develops new things can happen which can improve or hamper the painting. The trick is always finding a good stage to stop. Not everything works and their is a lot of failure, but eventually progress is made and that's why artists like me spend a lifetime working and growing.

Comments

Popular Posts